Saturday, January 7, 2012

THOUGHTS OF A NEW YEAR


I’ve started the New Year 2012 with a realization that I haven’t really ever managed to fulfill my new year’s resolutions. So this year I’m making none! Instead, I’ve found myself still on vacation, cleaning up closets and putting away things that have annoyed me in the more busy everyday life…
I’ve cleaned up my closet, but did not manage to put away as many clothes I thought I would.  In case a 10th of January resolution would hit me and I’d shrink a little in my physical existence I might have use for some of that clothing… I was at the store yesterday and passed the candy aisle (did you read that, I p-a-s-s-e-d it!) and thought there should really be a “hooray- you’re a winner!”-sound for all those who do! I felt a little tempted to park there and start doing that myself for others but well – hmm - maybe I’ll pass, this time… Whoa. And an alarm in my closet would also be helpful the moment I let something lying around instead of putting it in place and my closet transforming to a view comparable to that of the tumble dryer. Why is it so hard to get myself to grow up and change my behavior in some things? Haven’t I changed at all?

So it is that something always happens at this time of the year. Without necessarily really planning it, we ask ourselves what was last year all about and what we hope for the coming year…

But I’m starting to think that hoping doesn’t really work.

 An add got glued to my mind yesterday: “If you take it light, you can take it light!” Of course that was some commercial for dieting - oh, how many of us feel that we’ve really enjoyed the holiday season? I don’t want to feel guilty for all the chocolate and other delicacies like the grand plateau of French cheese I’ve enjoyed! I definitely enjoyed it and I’m not planning on feeling guilty about it now.  
“Take it light so you can take it light” is almost an anointing phrase. Gee. Yes! That goes for so many issues! Of course life is often everything but light. But at the same we are not being good to ourselves when we add the weight on our shoulders with our own accusations and putting pressure about  x amount of issues.

As trying to make some closets “lighter” I found myself not taking that job at all lightly. “Oh, how can I get rid of this, it reminds me of…  “ and this way of thinking really didn’t help me letting go of things I haven’t taken a glimpse of in the whole past year. Whoa. Why do I carry things with me I really don’t need? Things that really get me upset when I’m looking for a spot to store something more necessary. Everywhere we seem to be bombarded with commercials, adds of new trends and tempted to material that neither we or our home really needs… Everywhere we seem to be bombarded with opinions, views and different approaches of life we “should” adopt… but that really aren’t worth the big speech?

Throughout history it is actions that have spoken. And so it is also this year. I don’t want to take myself, others or life lightly but at the same I do.  The view to the distant mountains of solid peace doesn’t get any closer if I don’t let myself breathe deeper and live lighter. Breathe deeper and live lighter.

I shall find the journey towards.

All the best to you all for this start of the new year,
<3 Rina 

PS.
At this point I feel like sharing a little bit of  the picture of me below, another picture of empowerment - taken about hmm three years ago - wanting to express: MY BURDEN IS LIGHT...

There has been times indeed when I've felt like I'm pulling a heavy wagon and to be able to let go of burdens and finding inner strength pushed me towards this picture I wanted to be taken of me - as a reminder and declaration to myself - yes, my burden IS light, I feel it, I know it...

At the same, I know this is a challenge I face every day I get up, not something I own for the rest of my life. Issues change... We do change. We can learn and we learn so much. It is only looking back we realise how much. It is only in looking forward we can let go.



 



















No comments: